POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chain Question : Re: Chain Question Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chain Question
From: Mike Williams
Date: 28 Jan 2003 19:15:45
Message: <PKE0NEAuyxN+Ew5B@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Andrew Cocker who wrote:

>"Mike Williams" <eco### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message news:3e371047@news.
>povray.org...
>> Just a simple scene to see if using the MegaPOV mechanics simulator could
>> really be used to produce a terrain-following chain, as per the discussion
>> in povray.general.
>
>Nice work. Did it take you long to set up?

It took several tries to get a nice result. At one point I did a
complete run only to find that I'd set the friction too low and the
chain all slid down and scrunged into the lowest valley. On other tries,
I tried to use more links, but this either caused the simulator to
report that it had become unstable, or some links to get "stuck" in mid
air.

> Had you used the mechanics before?

This was my first serious render that actually worked. I'd run two very
simple tests just to see how the simulator operated, and one serious
attempt at modelling a vehicle moving over terrain that I never did
manage to get working.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure