POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : problem with tga file : Re: problem with tga file Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problem with tga file
From: Peter Popov
Date: 17 Oct 1999 08:00:08
Message: <P7kJOF3TQN86l2w8bl14MRK0bOXj@4ax.com>
On 17 Oct 1999 07:08:14 -0400, "kobus" <kob### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>I just started using povray for windows and was doing some examples from
>the povray documentation. In the chapter "Height Field Object" an image is
>created with the rendering options +A0.1 +FT. When I open the tga file in
>an image viewing program, there is an image with some green and brown
>pixels instead of which was rendered by povray.
>
>kobus

Welcome!

That image is rendered using the POV HF_Gray_16 TGA format. POV uses
the first two channels of the TGA file (namely the red and green ones)
to represent a 16-bit grayscale image. 16-bit images give 256 times
smoother height fields that 8-bit images, but TGA only supports 8 bits
per channel, so POV is using a little trick to store 16-bit values.
The result is that you see a red-green pattern. Don't worry, it is not
for you to see but for POV to make a height-field out of. Just follow
the tutorial on how to make a height_field object.

Oh, and don't give up :)

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700