POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mars color coded elevation maps : Re: mars color coded elevation maps Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mars color coded elevation maps
From: Mike Williams
Date: 15 Mar 2006 09:30:47
Message: <OlQwWFAmOCGEFw5F@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Thomas de Groot who wrote:

>"ts" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
>> i see google has these available now:
>> http://www.google.com/mars/
>>
>> the color coded elevation maps may be of interest
>> for height field experiments.
>> too bad the shadows are included.
>> still ... perhaps of use.
>>
>> -ts-
>>

>Am I mistaken, or is there only a small part of Mars made available here?
>The map tiles itself when zooming out.... Not exactly what I am looking
>for.... I suppose Nasa has a more complete set.

That's the way the Google Map code works. Try it with the Earth and
you'll get the same effect:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=90210&ll=34.0,-118.0&spn=180,360

But if you're more familiar with Earth geography than Mars you're more
likely to recognise the part of the Earth that gets tiled.

The code works that way so that you get something sensible if you zoom
in 3 or 4 levels and look at a part of the planet near the International
Date Line (or whatever the Mars equivalent is).

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure