POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Finished!! (224Kbu) : Re: Finished!! (224Kbu) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 18:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finished!! (224Kbu)
From: Glen Berry
Date: 1 May 2000 11:17:42
Message: <OZkNOWv5snS5KTkQ3kO67nJHVb+W@4ax.com>
On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 19:56:27 -0700, "H.E. Day"
<The### [at] hedayfreeserverscom> wrote:

>Yes indeedy.  I be done.  I don't think I can wait two weeks for
>feedback,

There are a few things in this image that simply make me wonder.

For instance, what is the light source coming from high and left of
the image? It shouldn't be sunlight, because the rays of light don't
appear parallel, but definitely converge. They even appear "bent," but
perhaps the bending is just camera distortion.

Why did someone go to the trouble of erecting billboards under a
bridge? Most billboards are in a position of maximum visibility. The
one for POV 10 could perhaps be pointed toward some highway off to the
left, out of camera view. However, the billboard for the auto is
pointed toward the area with the drunk. This appears to be an area for
pedestrian traffic only. Perhaps in this city, there are so many
billboards that they end up being practically everywhere?

As everyone else has said, it's hard to make out the drunk without
increasing the gamma of the image. When I did, I was glad to see an
overturned beer bottle next to the drunk. That removed the ambiguity
of where the puddle came from.    :)

(Seriously though, I'm beginning to wonder if your system displays
this image lighter than most everyone else. It really looks better
when I lighten the image with a gamma adjustment.)

Do pedestrian pathways actually get street signs in some cities? I do
like your choice of street names.   :)

Overall, it's a very nice image. The sense of wear and decay is very
well done. The gritty urban decor is likewise well done, with things
like the abundance of cables hanging from the edges of the bridges,
the way the bridges seem to have been shoe-horned into existing space,
the dented metal trash cans, etc. Those drones look well done, and
well used I might add. It seems the city keeps the same drones for
several years instead of frequently upgrading to newer models.   :)

It might sound like I picked this image to death, but I really do like
it. A few things just leave me puzzled, that's all. I do think it
deserves a place in the hall of fame. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Later,
Glen Berry

( Remove the "7" from 7no### [at] ezwvcom to email me. )