POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP stargate : Re: WIP stargate Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP stargate
From: Mike Williams
Date: 25 Jan 2003 02:43:05
Message: <OYcUJCAKyjM+EwQZ@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Richard Morehouse who wrote:
>Mike Williams <mik### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>>Anyway, the code that seems to be causing the problem is in this bit:-
>>
>>#declare Chlitglass2=pigment{ gradient y color_map{[0 Red*2 filter
>>.9][11/18 Red*2 filter .9][14/18 Yellow*2 filter .9][18/18 Yellow*2
>>filter .9]} scale 18}
>>
>>If you remove the "*2"s then it renders correctly.
>>I don't understand the details of why you see the effect you do.
>neither do i.
>
>i tried your suggestion, it's an improvement  but I can still see a
>difference betwwn the chevrons. i'm trying to make them all the same
>but can't find out why they differ.
>
>does anyone else have any suggestions?

The only remaining differences seem lighting effects due to the fact
that the lights are striking Chevron6 at different angles. One way to
get rid of such lighting effects would be to remove the filter component
from Chevron7 (so that you can't see the specular reflections from
Chevron6 behind it) and possibly give it finish {ambient 1}.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure