POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Post-process : highlights/midtone/shadows : Re: Post-process : highlights/midtone/shadows Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post-process : highlights/midtone/shadows
From: Glen Berry
Date: 27 Apr 2000 14:20:13
Message: <N4IIOVEXLgGZ1H0pjcnSQTnCMaTw@4ax.com>
On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:00:45 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>It is starting to sound like POV-Ray needs a plugin feature added
>with a SDK plug in development environment <SNIP>

I had thought of something like this long ago, but as I understand it,
the POV-Team frowns on the idea of plugins. If I'm not mistaken Ron
Parker was asking for plugins a long time ago, and was promptly told
"no."

For post processing, it would be *very* cool if we could use actual
Photoshop compatible plugins, but I doubt this would be very practical
to code, because of the major differences between the two
environments. There are also some data types that are unique to POV
which Photoshop plugins wouldn't be able to take advantage of at all.
If Photoshop compatible plugins were ever useable in POV, we would
still need our own specialized POV plugins to take advantage of those
special geometry related data types, and other POV-unique variables.
Even so, it would still be *very* nice to be able to take advantage of
the large assortment of Photoshop compatible plugins available.
Several of these are even available as freeware.

Later,
Glen Berry

( Remove the "7" from 7no### [at] ezwvcom to email me. )