POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : turner whitted famous image reproduction : Re: turner whitted famous image reproduction Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: turner whitted famous image reproduction
From: Mike Williams
Date: 28 Oct 2005 07:32:53
Message: <N2XvjDABxgYDFwUW@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Junkboy316 who wrote:
>Hi.
>
>Im a real beginner and am trying to recreate this image to get into the
>swing of things. I think im getting there but have no idea how to create
>the transparent sphere. All the ones ive attempted have created an upside
>down version of the checkered floor. Any help on where to start would be
>much appreciated.

I think it's a bubble, something like this

difference {
  sphere { 0,2}
  sphere { 0,1.9}
  pigment {rgbt <1,1,1,0.9>}
  finish {phong 0.3 phong_size 100}
  interior {ior 1.1}
}

In fact, I suspect that it may well be half a bubble. I can't think of
any other way for POV to omit the second highlight. Perhaps the software
he was using back then couldn't manage the second highlight.

difference {
  sphere { 0,2}
  sphere { 0,1.9}
  plane {-z,0}