POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Newsgroup readers. : Re: Newsgroup readers. Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:11:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newsgroup readers.
From: Peter Popov
Date: 7 Feb 2000 19:48:26
Message: <MVGfOBYsTaOGMg8JV8Wf9vK0rePP@4ax.com>
On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 05:10:46 -0500, Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote:

>> like to have 2 copies of the server one I keep all of my permanent newsgroup
>> subscriptions on. I use the other one when I want to just quickly look at a
>> newsgroup. I find it makes it easier to just brows through a newsgroup and see
>> weather I want to make it a permanent subscription. Strange I know.

>    Free Agent has all such  functions.

The way Agent and Free Agent is configured for multiple accounts is
simple. You create a separate directory for each account and set it as
a working directory for the shortcut that starts agent.exe . How you
configure each account is your own business so if you want you can
have 20 different copies of the same server running all at once (not
that you would want that :) ) and subscribe to whichever groups you
want to independently. The different copies couldn't care less about
each other. And if for some strange reason one of them crashes, this
doesn't take down the others with it (as NS does).

>    All those are in free agent vice agent for $US29 or some such. Free agent is
>almost embarrassware it gives you nearly everything for nothing.

The biggest plus that I've found in Agent is that it does not lose its
data upon reinstallation. It has survived innumerous re-installs of
95, OSR 2.1, 98 and even NT once without a problem (as opposed to OE
and NS which write so much stuf to the registry it's impossible for
thir data to survive an OS reinstall).

I suggest you check out TUCOWS for the ones rated "five golden cows"
only. There are three or four of them, namely Free Agent, Agent, NS,
OE and I think Gravity (haven't checked lately). All of them have free
versions available for download so decide for yourself.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700