POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Creative flub.. : Re: Creative flub.. Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:29:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creative flub..
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Apr 2008 18:43:24
Message: <MPG.225c7685da28540398a13b@news.povray.org>
In article <47f1e59c$1@news.povray.org>, sco### [at] laptopcom says...
> > Its real questionable whether intentionally breaking your
> > own technology is strictly ethical or legal, when the only reason to do
> > so is to force someone to buy a new one. Try that with anything like a
> > car.
>
> Exactly that thing is already done in cars.  The BMW 118d, 120d and 123d
are
> all exactly the same car - you get exactly the same lump of metal and
> plastic.  There is a huge difference in price though.  Why?  Because ther
> is some line of code in the software that tells the engine how much torqu
> to produce, which is different for each model.  If you just bought a 118d
,
> you can't go around complaining that it's not fair how your car is
> artificially crippled blah blah blah.  If the car manufacture did not act

> like this you wouldn't have been able to afford the 118d in the first pla
ce!

Strictly speaking, true. But it doesn't take much when pulling that, in
*some* industries, to get your company in serious damn trouble with its
customers, when you lied to them about what that "code" was really
doing.

> > Oh, sorry, but the 2007x isn't intended to drive on Main st., now
> > that they upgraded the streets with a new type of painted line, I am
> > afraid it won't go faster than 3 MPH or let you listen to the radio
> > while on that street. However, for an additional $20,000 you can buy th
> > 2008q, which is 100% compatible... Yeah, right. That would go over good
> > in court.
>
> What law exactly would it be breaking?  SO long as they make it clear whe
> you buy the car what its limitations are I don't see the problem.  Of cou
rse
> nobody would accept this sort of deal which is why they don't offer it.
>
> In fact when I hire a car here in this city I can choose a cheaper option
> only drive it within this area, or the more expensive option to be allowe
> to drive over the whole country, or the top price to be allowed to take i
> abroad.  It's my choice, and it gives me a cheaper option if I want to ta
ke
> it.

In this case, the very clear fact that the specification sheat on the
2007x version **claimed** compatibility with the same road, when it
didn't actually have it, and they only bothered to say *after the fact*
that they intentionally disabled it.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {