POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
26 Jun 2024 02:31:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Jan 2008 21:27:28
Message: <MPG.2201a54c190686b298a0e8@news.povray.org>
In article <47973c65@news.povray.org>, sau### [at] netscapenet says...
> Why you say no when CPU-GPU combos are been used in several applications

> like I listed, ray-tracing  or there are trends to use this combo to
> solve problems so I think is a yes, maybe is in very early stages but
> this is tending to evolve and could become common ground and open
> source. Why are you so negative about it? What would make you think in a

> yes?

As Warp says, its not really designed for recursive raytracing. There
**are** hybrid applications that do fairly decent results, which
probably do use it to speed things up a bit, **however** those systems
are intended for production level systems, where speed is considered
more important than realism. Since POVRay's primary goal is to generate
the more realistic physical model possible, and short cuts that could be
used to produce a movie, or the like, by side stepping, short cutting,
or even ignoring, certain methods, in favor of speed, are "not" the
intended goal here. Mind you, I wouldn't mind some of those short cuts,
since its damn near impossible to do some things the "right" way, and
certainly not in a sane span of time. But, short of adding those in as
optional, so those in "production" level fields could use them, while
leaving the normal methods intact, there isn't a benefit to the intent
of the project to do that.

About half the people here would scream bloody murder and try to beat
you to death with a checker plane if you tried to add shortcuts, never
mind that there aren't a lot of free rendering systems that are as good,
and also use those short cuts. Most of the other half would still be
busy sharpening the edges of their triangle primitives, just in case
your suggestion did break the physical based systems already in there.
lol But, I think you see what I am getting at. Even if some of us would
find it useful to take short cuts, its *not* what the program is
supposed to be designed for, and what it *is* intended for isn't
functionally possible in current GPUs.
--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {