POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : speed up povray by recompiling for graphics card : Re: speed up povray by recompiling for graphics card Server Time
18 May 2024 08:42:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: speed up povray by recompiling for graphics card
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Jun 2006 15:37:41
Message: <MPG.1f01fc2a9ad23536989f2a@news.povray.org>
In article <web.4497a173bda360d27d55e4a40@news.povray.org>,
alp### [at] zubenelgenubi34spcom says...
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
>
> > No it couldn't, because graphics cards ***do not*** raytrace, then
> > scanline.
>
> I think what's actually being referred to is using the GPU (in sufficient
ly
> modern cards) as a fast vector processor that can be programmed to carry
> out arbitrary (i.e. not triangular or scanliney) calculations. I would
> actually read the headlines on that site (http://www.gpgpu.com) to see wh
at
> is being talked about. GPU pipelines are still single-precision though, a
nd
> POVRay uses double-precision maths throughout. It would be a massive job
in
> any case, and easier to buy more CPUs.

Ah.. Yeah, that could be it. Not that one couldn't sacrifice "some"
precision to gain speed that way, but it wouldn't be the same result.
Though.. It does provide an interesting solution if you want to create a
game based renderer that uses POV-Ray like function, but not quite the
same level of accuracy. Not sure how much it would truly improve the
speed though. If it could let you do refraction and reflection in a few
seconds on a complex scene, instead of minutes, it might be worth it for
an idea I had, but I wouldn't expect real time from it. lol

.
> I would say that real-world objects are not made up of any sort of
> primitive that POVRay or other renderers use, triangles included.
> Certainly, I've never seen a perfect box{} in the real world (checks
> furniture).

If you want to be picky, then yes. The point though is that between the
two approximations, true raytracing is closest to reality, even if you
have to round the edges of some things to make them, "not perfect
boxes". And the overhead... Like I have told several people, what you
can do in about 50 lines of POV-Ray code would take a 1.5MB mesh file,
not including textures, on most GPU based systems. From a purely
practical standpoint, GPUs are not practical for photorealism, even if
they are currently faster at producing results.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else