POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Isosurface mod : Re: Isosurface mod Server Time
2 Jun 2024 16:06:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface mod
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 Oct 2004 17:02:50
Message: <MPG.1beb1350c94266cd989c01@news.povray.org>
In article <4180a39d$1@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...
> In article <MPG.1bea10575f2e0627989bfb@news.povray.org> , Patrick Elliott
> <sha### [at] hotmailcom>  wrote:
>
> > one thing this does is extend the file parser for density files to deal
> > with some stuff it couldn't, including supporting decimal data, instead
> > of requiring it be imported as ranges between 0 and 255. Looks
>
> Apart from intentionally not supporting decimal data, did you look at
> POV-Ray 3.6 lately?

At that specific feature? No. I just thought it was an interesting
article and wondered if anyone had seen the patch.

I tend to agree with the author of the patch though. We have enough
situations where we have to convert real world data into the artificial
limits POV-Ray often imposes for data. It doesn't make a lot of sense to
'intentionally' introduce yet another situation where the data has to be
converted from decimal to integer. How exactly does placing such
artificial limits on the data help anyone use POV-Ray for visualizing
data that *cannot* be collapsed into such a limited and rigid set of
values? Why not also limit color output to 8-bit? After all, producing
the image is so much more important than making sure it is accurate...

Yeah, I understand why, but this is an extension specifically for HDF. It
doesn't supercede or change the existing limited system, it is
specifically designed for the specialized import and use of data that
cannot and does not conform to the limits imposed by the existing density
file format. This includes the amount of data available:

"...each HDF file is a snapshot of the model state at a given time and
contains 12 3-D variables per file. It often is illustrative to look at
multiple variables, such as cloud, rain, hail and snow."

Basically, his format lets you retrieve individual surfaces in a single
file to by name, like this:

density_file hdf "blah.hdf", "foo"

This would read in only the data for the 'foo' section of the hdf file.
Not only can you use raw data from a simulation source that isn't
artificially scaled to an integer range, which would make his simulation
of complex supercell thunderstorms impossible, but the data for all
aspects of it, including rain and the rest, can be rendered from a single
source. A similar patch could be made for say DXF, so allow each sub
object to be read in as its own object, without the currently insane
method of relying on some third party application to misconvert the data
or collapse the entire thing into one object you then can't bloody do
anything with. Forgive me for thinking that this 'might' be a better idea
that forcing artificial and questionable limits on the data, while
requiring everyone to rely on the often incomplete support for POV-Ray
exporting in the applications to use other 3D formats. I personally think
it is a brilliant solution.

Maybe you where trying to make some other point though? For that matter,
if it does include something for HDF, what would I look for and how
versatile is the feature? I suspect already, from your statement about
intentionally limiting it to integer, that the answer is 'not very'.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else