POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : too much flushing / slow pre/post parse : Re: too much flushing / slow pre/post parse Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: too much flushing / slow pre/post parse
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Apr 2004 15:14:08
Message: <MPG.1af5bb00bd178f47989a27@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns94D6A7D59F57Draf256com@203.29.75.35>, spa### [at] raf256com
says...
> tho### [at] trfde news:408bb52b$1@news.povray.org
>
> > You can already disable individual streams.  Please refer to the user
> > manual for details.
>
> I know.
> I suggest to add predefined .ini and bind it to a key and to button.
>
> alt+1 or button GO(fast) = turned off most streams -f +sp32 +ep4
> alt+2 or button GO
> alt+3 or button GO(final) = +a0.03 +f
>
> and maybe also
>
> alt+4 .. alt+9 - will fastly select quickres.ini section [fast_4] ..
> [fast_9] and render it.
>
> I know it is possible, but new-users might not.

Wouldn't something like the 'drop-down on a button' things like some
browsers have make more sense. Just click the button for normal behaviour
or the little drop down arrow to get alternative behaviors. That way the
option is there, but you don't need 2-3 extra buttons. And I tend to
agree here. New users won't know how to set these things manually, and in
the case of the re-run issue, you can't apparently even turn that off
anyway, even though Rafal says it can drastically speed things up for
those of us that *never* or rarely use it in the first place. Renaming
the directory so that it simply fails in all cases isn't much of an
option, since when you do need it, you have to rename the directory again
to reenable it. :(

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()