POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:08:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jan 2004 16:00:20
Message: <MPG.1a7ddb0cfdc949b698997c@news.povray.org>
In article <4012d99e@news.povray.org>, wwi### [at] gmxde says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
> > a height field, c) some other thing... You might have better luck
> > convincing people
> >
> I do NOT want to convince anybody.
> I just had that idea and implemented it (in a dirty way) for me
> because I need it.
> Just in the unlikely event that several people were saying
> "Ah, I've been looking for that already", I would have considered
> making a real patch from it and ask for inclusion.

Missing the point. You stated that you made a change, gave the code, but
never actually said how or why you are using it. This is sadly one of the
reasons why some great ideas never see the light of day. It is not enough
to toss code into people's laps and say, "Here is something I did. Maybe
someone will find it useful." You also have to tell them what the heck
you thought it was useful for. You didn't do that until someone a great
deal brighter than me questioned 'how' you did it and suggested
transparency.

> > that filling the image, instead of simply clipping is
> > better, if we had an example of what you are doing with it. ;)
> >
> http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~wwieser/render/img/mars/#landingspirit
>
> BTW, I have to thank Christoph for the idea to make the angle of the
> light sooo flat. (And my atmosphere is basically the earth rendering
> atmosphere with red and blue components exchanged and absorption
> removed ;)

Now, there is what I meant. A wonderful example. Now someone can look at
it as say, "Heh, that's something I could really use. Where is the
patch?" I may even use it myself some time. I have a program I designed a
while back involving a GPS locations database, but always wanted to put a
map in with it. The problem was a) I didn't want a 1G files, which I
couldn't put on a CD anyway and b) I couldn't find any smaller version
that where not pure junk. Being able to take a 1G file of the place I
want and render a series of smaller images that are easier to load would
be very helpful. Now I just need to find the damn map I need to do it
with... lol

Of course I also don't have, want to, or plan to compile a patch myself,
so unless this does find its way into MegaPOV or something, I probably
still won't use it. My philosophy is that if you don't understand even
10% of how a program works, don't screw with any of it yourself. ;) lol

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else