POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:37:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Jan 2004 14:37:05
Message: <MPG.1a7c75e35e2671d2989975@news.povray.org>
In article <lnm### [at] tritonimagicode>, chr### [at] gmxde
says...
> Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
> >
> > Yes, but there are two reasons for my approach:
> > (1) Opening a 1Gb file in an external program, selecting some part,
> >     saving it... all that for every view port is too much work for me.
> > (2) The cut-down chunk needs extra calculations to make sure the
> >     image map projection is exactly correct.
> > My patch saves me from both these.
> > [...]
>
> I don't understand (2) and (1) of course is no more an issue with an
> external program than it is with a POV-Ray patch.

Actually it is more of an issue with an external program. It is called
wasted time. It may only be 4-5 minutes, but it is still time you spend
screwing with an external program (that may even crash in some cases with
an image 1G in size), instead of doing a relatively trivial clipping of
the image in the program you need to actually use the result in. I think
it is a good option, but then I also can't afford on my system to
generate x number of 100-200MB, or whatever, files containing all the
images I clipped out, on top of the original 1G file. And if you are
doing a panorama, where you may want/need those things to overlap, you
may end up using 2G of extra space, tripling how much room the images
take up, instead of merely doubling it. God forbid you don't have a DVD
burner (such images won't fit on a CD-R) and you decide to make 30-40 of
these images, each using a 1G file. Even the 80G hard drives most people
can now get cheap won't last long in such a situation. lol Imho, this is
actually a good idea.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()