POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : just an annoying neewbie question : Re: just an annoying neewbie question Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: just an annoying neewbie question
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Dec 2002 14:34:45
Message: <MPG.186d1c4c12c5efba9896ec@news.povray.org>
In article <3E0278A7.C1D08FA4@pacbell.net>, tyl### [at] pacbellnet says...

> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> >
> > In article <3E0125AF.B0325AA1@pacbell.net>, tyl### [at] pacbellnet says...
> > but it seems like the always have to screw something up in these things. lol
>
> Can't please all the people, all the time...

Quite true, but I find it really fun how they all seem to miss the things
that can simplify the program.

Examples:

1. Nurbs or full mesh design, but no way to enter precise numbers, even
if you know what those should be.
2. Hiding object properties so you have to go to a sub menu to find them.
3. Not including textures as one of those properties (obviously this
would make life far too easy).
4. Importing DXF, but as a single mesh instead of sub objects.
5. Providing nice tools to edit nurbs or the like, but no way to convert
non-nurbs into something you can use those tools on, including objects
and surface types generated by the program itself.
etc.

I just get tired of having to have 5-6 different programs because all of
them either make certain things overly complicated, difficult to do or
simply impossible. This is I suspect one major reason why some people do
everything by hand, but making meshes that way... lol

Lets just say I have yet to find anything that did what I expected it to.
Not mind you what I really truly 'wish' it did, but what I expected based
on their own documentation.