POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : mesh2 in Moray ? (newbie) : Re: mesh2 in Moray ? (newbie) Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:31:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh2 in Moray ? (newbie)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Dec 2002 15:05:06
Message: <MPG.18668c0920c2abae9896e7@news.povray.org>
In article <1gezmhe3x259w$.1umnlzry5x8kw$.dlg@40tude.net>,
not### [at] nospamntlworldcom says...
> I have downloaded Moray ( because I thought that it was going to be a
> program which would allow me to view (round X, Y, and Z) and manipulate
> (add/remove surfaces and view and paint texture)  my 3d models, all under
> keyboard rotate/zoom/add/remove/etc  (just like Moray does in fact !!)
> In my poor un-enlightened state I presumed that povray was a scripted
> scenepainting/tracing program and would not do this for me, so I did not
> download it, was that wrong, will it ?

Actually.. Now I am a bit confused. lol What are you using these models
with?

POVRay is as you say a scripted tracing program, but Moray was designed
primarily to generate scenes for it. While there may be export plugins or
other such facilities for other applications, its main purpose is still
to generate the scene files to be used by POVRay and some things work
differently in other programs or flat out don't exist. A good example is
textures, which are implemented quite differently in nearly all other
rendering programs. This means that you can manipulate the scene and the
like inside Moray, there may be problems generating the scene files to be
used to actually generate the final image if you are using something
other than POVRay to do that.

Note however that I haven't tried a version of Moray since they first
introduced the OpenGL views and it ran slow, tended to crash and didn't
really impress me much in that version, since I wanted non-wireframe
views specifically for precise positioning and CSG, neither one of which
worked. I haven't checked to see what the latest version actually offers.

Also.. Referring to one of your other posts:
> Arrrgghhh !
> "the export of the demo version may miss ervery 5th vertex/edge/face"
> !!!! Does this mean what i think it means, Roussian roulette ?
> So a saved model comes out with bits missing ? Or am I being daft ?

This is intentional. The idea is to show you what the program can do,
within limits, not let you use it for free. Thus the demo version will
randomly 'eat' every fifth vertex/edge/face to make it difficult to use
it without buying the full version.