POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : web interface doesn't work without cookies (was: Re: elastic cube, pov code, 800 kB) : Re: web interface doesn't work without cookies (was: Re: elasticcube, pov code, 800 kB) Server Time
21 Jul 2024 05:34:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: web interface doesn't work without cookies (was: Re: elasticcube, pov code, 800 kB)
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 18 May 2002 20:17:24
Message: <MPG.17510db0a513e4e3989708@news.povray.org>
In article <3ce5799e@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...

> Second, it is a good protection against those who collect email addresses to
> flood you with spam.  If you prefer spam which you cannot control over cookies
> which you can control that may be your choice, but don't expect many to agree
> with you in this regard.

I didn't say that there should be made nothing to prevent spamming, but
that it is generally better to perform such things server-side than
asking the user to change something in their browser.

> If you look, the server does not show email addresses of posters.

Oops.
I assumed it does, because otherwise there are not really that much
adresses to harvest anyway.

> Nobody, absolutely nobody is forcing you to use the web view.  If you don't
> like it, its cookies, or can't figure how to use it, don't use it.

I don't use it, a newsreader is IMO better anyway.
I just brought up the issue because I thought the usablility of the web
interface isn't optimal.
I didn't want to complain, but thought a discussion if/how this could be
made better could't hurt.

I now see that you think that cookie-thing is absolutely necessary and I
don't have any problem with that.

> Oder auf Deutsch:  Einem geschenkten Gaul schaut man nicht in Maul ;-)

Lutz-Peter