POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: First animation ever (a metronome) : Re: First animation ever (a metronome) Server Time
21 Aug 2024 05:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First animation ever (a metronome)
From: Sander
Date: 30 Jun 2001 19:27:45
Message: <MPG.15a87f0e3e3d14fb9897ea@NEWS.POVRAY.ORG>
In article <3b3dec65@news.povray.org>, JRG says...
> I modelled and animated this metronome yesterday afternoon, just because I
> got bored of studying oscillations. I'm completely new in animation (I read
> the documentation just yesterday, after modelling the metronome...) so don't
> mind if you find this one (which is meant to be a cyclic animation of
> course) a bit too simple. I have many question too:
> - Yesterdy I downloaded bmp2avi and cmpeg: how can I create an mpeg
> animation with frames bigger than 512x320? This seems to be impossible.
> Cmpeg looks quite hard to use to me, where can I find a simple
> non-compressed-avi2mpeg convertion program?
> - What is exactly mpeg2?
> - I think motion blur in MegaPov is a bit wrong: IMHO it should "average"
> the frames between t-dt and t. Now it seems to average all frames between
> t-dt/2 and t+dt/2 so that things look like they're vibrating rather than
> moving. This way motion blur objects anticipate their motion and this looks
> quite wrong to me.
> -Which are the differences between AVI and MPEG?
>
> Please, feedback is really appreciated because I've just discovered POV-Ray
> animation capabilities and really look forward to making something serious
> with them.
> JRG.
The animation is one of the few I have seen the last couple of weeks
that runs perfectly in Windows mediaplayer: good cycling (IYKWIM). It
makes a very natural impression as a whole.

My Windows frontend for CMPEG can be of help, but only for images of
sizes 512x320 and smaller :( You'll find it at http://stols.net . It
uses uncompressed TGA's only.

Your other questions can best be answered by many people here who are
much more knowledgeable than I am...
--
Regards,  Sander