POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : sPatch, Moray & csg : Re: sPatch, Moray & csg Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:51:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sPatch, Moray & csg
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 29 May 2001 18:02:25
Message: <MPG.157e2cd85bd56501989921@news.povray.org>
> Just as a test, I made a file of a cube and a cylinder for a CSG test in
> sPatch, then exported to Moray. Following were the results:
> On differencing the cylinder from the cube, the results were perfectly (I
> think) displayed in the opengl 3d view, but drew a blank in PovRay
> rendering. BUT, the same thing rendered with (so far) simple texturising,
> using the scanline option of the anim-plugin.
> Can anybody explain this? I can understand the csg not showing in PovRay
> (bicubic patches etc) but why, then, did it show in the opengl interface
> and in the scanline rendering. Also, could it not be replicated in PovRay?

I'll let you have my take on the subject.

To the best of my knowledge, POV is incapable of calculating CSG
differences or merges using patches.

The Moray 3d preview works by reducing everything to triangles, and can
thus predict (in this case, incorrectly) what it thinks the CSG would
look like.

The Scanline option in the anim-plugin also reduces all objects to
triangles before rendering.

Oh, and such an effect is unlikely to be implemented in POV until there
is native support for tesselation of primitives.  But that's another
subject.

Anybody out there want to shoot my theories down in flames?  Lutz?

:)

Bye for now,
     Jamie.