POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Oilve Oil Bottle - Photons - (and oil) : Re: Oilve Oil Bottle - Photons - (and oil) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oilve Oil Bottle - Photons - (and oil)
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 3 Apr 2001 15:03:27
Message: <MPG.15342eefcf3bde6b9898a8@news.povray.org>
> > BTW, what is the ior of oil? And it might be nice to have the light
> > coming from the other direction, so the caustics aren't hidden by the
> > bottle as much.
>
> I have no idea, used 1.33 (water) as it looked nice.

Well, I don't know if this is any help or not, but 1,2,3 Propan-triol
(also known as Glycerol) has the same IOR at 20 degrees C as borosilicate
glass.  Unfortunately I don't know any numbers off the top of my head.

OK, scratch that, apparently olive oil has an IOR of 1.47, as according
to :

http://oldsci.eiu.edu/physics/DDavis/3050/Ch16R&R/Intrnl.html

You know, sometimes I really like Google...

Bye for now,
     Jamie.