POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: povray and depth of field : Re: povray and depth of field Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray and depth of field
From: Sander
Date: 4 Feb 2001 08:01:25
Message: <MPG.14e770f7551e38e49896dd@NEWS.POVRAY.ORG>
In article <3a7be545$1@news.povray.org>, Bob H. says...
> Thing is I don't believe POV-Ray can focus on a range of distance and leave the
> rest out of focus.  I was going to mention that before but it's only my
> observation from past experience and not knowledge of the way POV works.
> Seems only the one plane, perpendicular to the camera to focal point line, is
> ever truly focused and all other distances are out of focus no matter how near
> to the focal plane and how small an aperture (of the POV kind).
> I take a lot of photographs but I don't know the science behind the photography
> as much as I'd like to.  Seems obvious though that a photo will have a range of
> focus whereas in POV it will not.
> Am I right? Anyone think the same thing?
>
> Bob H.

I don't know about POV: this is not the same thing as PPB, is it?

As far as light optics is concerned: theoretically, a photograph would
be in focus for one distance only. Several effects lead to the
appearance of an acceptable sharpness of the image in a much wider
range: as I recall for example the limited resolution of the emulsion
(nowadays CCD or such things); same limitations to processing materials;
resolution of the eye of the beholder; diffraction phenomena in the
camera lens system; and probably more. The overall effect is that you
are not able to see a difference in sharpness of the resulting picture.

I have worked a great deal with electron optical systems, where the
effective apertures  were in the order of .000001 radians. This had the
peculiar effect that when you projected an image on a screen, it didn't
matter anymore where you actually put the screen! Images were always
sharp. This so-called depth of field ranged, for example, from 1 cm to
10000 cm!! It had to do with the enormous magnifications used, for one
thing...
--
Regards,  Sander