POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : insect shader (50ko bu) : Re: insect shader (50ko bu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: insect shader (50ko bu)
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 16 Jan 2001 15:54:02
Message: <MPG.14cec062c79e7a4c98986c@news.povray.org>
> > > "Exoskeleton", but people will look at you funny if you use words like
> > > that too much... ;-)
> >
> > Or possibly Carapace.
>
> Carapace is another word for it, but I've mostly seen it used to refer
> to creatures like crabs or lobsters. I'm not an entomologist, though...

To be specific, the carapace is 'the shieldlike exoskeletal plate that
covers at least part of the anterior dorsal surface of many arthropods.'

Do you think using words like that will get people looking at me funny?
<grin>

I suggested it because the iridescent effect he seems to be aiming for is
usually most visible on the abdomens of beetles, some cockroaches, etc.
(i.e. the anterior dorsal surface :)

Ths ends the invertebrate biology lesson for the day <grin>

Bye for now,
     Jamie.