POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Modified Sphericon Thing (145Kbu) - Sphericon_V_2_a.mpg [1/1] : Re: Modified Sphericon Thing (145Kbu) - Sphericon_V_2_a.mpg [1/1] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modified Sphericon Thing (145Kbu) - Sphericon_V_2_a.mpg [1/1]
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 4 Oct 2000 13:17:00
Message: <MPG.14457665dbdb1de69897fa@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 10:58:17 +0930, Data wrote...
> > I've had the concave base object on my HDD since shortly after I saw the
> > original, but I decided to see if I could manage the rolling sphere
> > (there's a plain white texture on it so I wouldn't have to try and figure
> > out the appropriate rotations to prevent it looking like it was
> > 'sliding') and it was easier than I thought it would be.
> >
> If you're looking extremely closely, there's a faint bluish line on the
> ball, but it's moving so fast I can't see it except at the start and finish
> (Media Player is giving a brief pause at the replay). Well done (far beyond
> my abilities!)

I'll let you into a secret.  There's no way in hell I could do this in
POV script.  This is all through Moray (and the animation plugin)

And I think the faint line is a lighting artifact, since IIRC, the
illumination in the scene is from four point lights scattered around the
object.

> > Oh, and I've got another version, but in that one, the ball stays still
> > and the base object rotates.
> >
> I'd be interested to see :)

Have you got the Divx;-) codec?  It's just that it's not really that
interesting, and as a Divx;-) .avi, it's only 48k or so, and I'm sort of
loathe to take up much more space on the newsgroup with another version
of this (and an infinitely less pleasing version IMO)

Bye for now,
     Jamie.