POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: 4-bar linkage for B. Lauritzen (66kbbu) : Re: 4-bar linkage for B. Lauritzen (66kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4-bar linkage for B. Lauritzen (66kbbu)
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 26 Jul 2000 17:28:27
Message: <MPG.13e95cf8a034394e989771@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:25:15 -0400, Serge LAROCQUE wrote...
> > I suppose it may be worth pointing out to any pedants out there that
> > there are indeed four bars in the animation, one of them just happens to
> > be invisible and connects the two pivots made from a cylinder and sphere.
>
> Yes, that's the "fixed" or "ground" link.
>
> I can go one step further and mention that depending on the lengths of the
> bars relative to each other, you can get three types of motion:
>
> 1. crank-crank (both levers go completely around)
> 2. crank-rocker (left lever goes around, other one oscillates to and fro)
> 3. rocker-rocker (both levers oscillate to and fro ;) )

Yep that's what was covered in the programme I saw.

> I could also mention dead points, but I won't :D

Well, I was feeling pedantic, and decided to clear up any possible
confusion.

I don't suppose your system can handle the other four bar linkages
involving rotary->linear movement ie crank-piston or rocker-piston.

Bye for now,
     Jamie.