POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : MegaPOV support in next Moray version? : Re: MegaPOV support in next Moray version? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV support in next Moray version?
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 12 Jul 2000 16:09:54
Message: <MPG.13d6dbeeb8cae91c98973e@news.stmuc.com>
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:44:51 -0500, TigerHawk wrote...
> > I wasn't having a go at you, honest.
>
> Hehaehae....no worries, I've done far worse anyways :)

No, it's just that recently I've noticed my postings seeming to be
incredibly caustic and inflammatory, and I'm not doing it deliberately.
maybe I'm just having one of those months <sigh>

> > All that the looks_like tag does is create internally a group containing
> > the light source and the object it looks like.
>
> Hmm...the way I understand it is that if I were to to do it manually, I would place
> the light source directly infront of whatever I am assigning as a light source (we
> will say a light bulb). I thought looks_like eliminated the need to do that (so the
> object acts as the light, casting light uniformally)? That's the way I thought about
> it - correct me if I'm wrong :)

You can create a sphere at <0,0,0> and a point light source at <0,0,0>
and as long as you set the sphere to no_shadow, the light source will
apply to the rest of the scene as if the sphere wasn't there.

As far as I understand it, this is all that POV does internally when you
specify a looks_like.  (Although it creates a group containing the light
and sphere, which is easy enough to do in Moray :)

In other words, all looks_like does is put a visible, completely
transparent (can you say oxymoron? :) object around the light source.
The light source still acts as a point/spot/area light, regardless of how
big the looks_like object is.

Did that make any sense?  And if not, would somebody else like to try
explaining it?

Bye for now,
     Jamie.