POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Abstract animation (315Kbu) - Whip.mpg [1/1] : Re: Abstract animation (315Kbu) - Whip.mpg [1/1] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Abstract animation (315Kbu) - Whip.mpg [1/1]
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 25 Jun 2000 08:21:57
Message: <MPG.13c0041bea879bff98970b@news.stmuc.com>
On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:52:09 -0500, Bob Hughes wrote...
> | What I find intriguing is how a purely mechanical system (all components
> | rotate at the same speed relative to their parent object) can produce
> | motion which occasionally has an organic look to it.
>
> Don't know if I'd call that organic... well tentacle-like in a way I suppose.
> Has the look of a bicycle or motorcycle chain.  Ever have one of those break?
> Kind of reminds me of that.

Well, since I was trained as a marine biologist, I tend to see organic
aspects in lots of things.

Specifically, it reminded me of either a nematocyst discharging, or a
tendril on a climbing plant coiling around a support.

And not ever having had a motorcycle, I think I can safely say that I've
never had the dubious honour of a chain breaking on me :)

Bye for now,
     Jamie.