POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Experimenting with Greebles : Re: Experimenting with Greebles Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:11:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Experimenting with Greebles
From: Mike Williams
Date: 12 May 2006 01:57:10
Message: <M1+wyCAjNCZEFwh+@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Sven Littkowski who wrote:
>Not bad. I like it. Still, I would replace that long chain of spheres at the
>front of the one long box.

It's fairly tricky to get the random number generator to produce
aesthetic repetitions all the time. If there are too few reps, then the
result just looks too random, but if there are too many reps then it
will occasionally produce long chains like that. I've got it currently
set to perform repeats one time in seven.

> And replace the white color with a light gray
>just a bit lighter than the regular gray. White is too bright.

I deliberately arranged for a small number of nearly white units
(rgb 0.9) and a small number of nearly black units (rgb 0.1) just to
break up the overall blue-grey-ness and give it some highlights.

Each unit in this image chooses a random pigment from this colour_map

#declare cmap = colour_map {
   [0.02 rgb 0.1]
   [0.04 rgb <0.2,0.2,0.3>]
   [0.97 rgb <0.5,0.5,0.6>]
   [0.98 rgb 0.9]
 }

>Otherwise it
>is a damn good work!
>
>Hey, I am waiting now for the windows!

I'm not sure how windows might work.

> And for a more complex ship shape.

At the moment I can only generate rectangular panels of these greebles.
I tried generating a rectangular panel and then using an intersection on
it to create a triangular patch, but the render time went through the
roof, presumably because it loses the bounding boxes on the little
pieces, so it has to test each ray against thousands of greeble units.
This image rendered in 1m 53s, but a similar model made from triangular
patches would take several days.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure