POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : post_process suggestions? : Re: post_process suggestions? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: post_process suggestions?
From: Glen Berry
Date: 3 May 2000 17:05:22
Message: <KZMQOYBIgEth1Z=EeP+KuFA7TPUQ@4ax.com>
On 3 May 2000 10:26:58 -0400, ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker)
wrote:

>Most of the posterization filters I've seen seem to try to optimize the
>colors that are actually used for the image in which they're used.
>This differs significantly from just chopping off the low-order bits.

When I speak of "classic posterization" I am referring to it in its
original form - photographic film. There are a great many variations
that can be made in the process, but I tried to describe the most
basic and straightforward example I could.

I don't really know the most common way it is implemented digitally,
but since they are imitating an old film-based process, I thought it
would be good to describe it from that viewpoint. It seemed better to
copy the technique "from the source" (film), than to simply copy from
the imitators (digital).

Later,
Glen Berry

( Remove the "7" from 7no### [at] ezwvcom to email me. )