POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Normals in Pov : Re: Normals in Pov Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normals in Pov
From: Mike Williams
Date: 18 Jul 2000 13:22:22
Message: <JtjZGBA4F$c5Ewux@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Warp who wrote:
>Jason Miller <jas### [at] pinheirotcimetnet> wrote:
>: Does Povray care about the winding of a mesh?  As in, does it use 1 sided or
>: 2 sided polygons?  If it uses one sided, how can this be set to 2 sided?
>
>  I suppose that a 1-sided polygon is (like, for example, in OpenGL) a polygon
>that is seen only from one side. If the polygon is turned so that the other
>side faces the camera, then it's not rendered.
>  Povray only uses 2-sided polygons (ie. they are rendered now matter how they
>are rotated). I don't know of any plans of adding support for 1-sided polygons
>to povray (I'm not even sure how easy it is to make in raytracing).

I believe that 1-sided polygons are not possible in the current official
version of POVRay, but they can be achieved in MEGAPov by usng the
"interior_texture" keyword.

Every surface is considered to have an interior and an exterior (but
it's not always obvious which is which) and the interior_texture keyword
allows you to have a different texture on the two sides. If you make one
of these textures completely invisible {pigment {rgbt <1,1,1,1>}} then
you've got a 1-sided surface.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure