POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spherical Meshes : Re: Spherical Meshes Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spherical Meshes
From: Mike Williams
Date: 29 Mar 2005 18:19:57
Message: <IZ7xpHAYIeSCFwD9@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Dave Matthews who wrote:
>Mike Williams wrote:
>> Inspired by the "math related image" thread.
>>
>> Sphere-6-5: Most vertices have 6 edges, but the red ones have 5. I think
>> this is a standard Geodesic Dome.
>>
>> Sphere-6-4: Most vertices have 6 edges, but the red ones have 4.
>>
>> Sphere-4-3: Most vertices have 4 edges, but the red ones have 3.
>>
>> Sphere-6-3: Most vertices have 6 edges, but the red ones have 3.
>>

>Very nice!  How are you generating the vertices?  From a data file, or
>from an algorithm?  Same question for edges, for that matter....

I'm actually generating the faces (by simple recursive subdivision).
I then draw cylinders along the edges of each face, and spheres at the
corners. That actually means that each visible sphere is really as many
as six coincident POV spheres, but the scene renders fast enough that
I've not bothered removing the duplication.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure