POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Energy drink : Re: Energy drink Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Energy drink
From: Mike Williams
Date: 7 Aug 2008 15:50:27
Message: <HXOqnHGnF1mIFwbk@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Larp who wrote:
>Alain wrote:
>
>> How are the holes made?
>> Transparent parts in the image_map, or actual holes made
>> with a diference? With the diference, you can try using a
>> merge of all the holes, it could be somewhat faster.
>
>Holes are "real holes": rotated cylinders grouped in an
>union and then differenced with a can.
>
>Should the merge be faster than the union? At least
>Documentation says opposite:

The situation with the speed of holes is quite complicated. I have a
series of pages about the situation here:
    http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/index.htm

Because your holes are randomly placed, the first three tricks won't
work, but the fourth trick might:
    http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/holes4.htm

--
Mike Williams