POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blobby alienfighter : Re: Blobby alienfighter Server Time
2 Oct 2024 20:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blobby alienfighter
From: Glen Berry
Date: 22 Mar 2000 00:02:28
Message: <FlDYOGh5pH9Bm28gdDS0z=0AtFna@4ax.com>
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:09:07 -0600, "Bob Hughes"
<omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:

>I'm sure someone will bring up the fact that there
>probably shouldn't be such glowing lights in the
>vacuum of space.

The "fact" ?

On the contrary, these lighting effects are perfectly reasonable,
because they are the sort of effects that can be produced within one's
eye, a window pane, or inside a camera. The halation in this scene
isn't being produced in the vacuum of space, but in the vicinity of
the observer, which could very well contain an atmosphere,
less-than-perfect optics (eye or camera), and a less than perfect
recording medium (film, sensor, or retina.)

The halation is a circular pattern centered at the point of maximum
brightness, not a projected "beam", such as an automobile's headlight
shining through a hazy atmosphere. This sort of halation can be
produced, even if viewing an object located in deep space.

For the record, this image is one of the best space images I remember
seeing here.  I hope to see more work like this in the future.

Later,
Glen Berry