POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why povray? : Re: SV: Why povray? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SV: Why povray?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 18 Feb 2000 17:49:46
Message: <D8mtOJXr6CSZt84vOvEI9ehZekGP@4ax.com>
On Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:54:07 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>You guys sure you know how to run a computer ?

Ever changed an IP, tweaked your AGP, changed the MTU, installed and
configured a firewall...? The default options in Windows are so
alfully dreadfully moronically set up that a 50% decrease from optimal
performance should make you feel lucky. As an example, the default
configuration of my network card has the MTU screwed up and as a
result the maximum transer over my 100 Mbps lan was 7.1 K. Yes,
kilobytes! The AGP was automatically set to 1x, most of the functions
of the 3D accelerator were disabled... It was stable that way, but
now, more than 250 reboots later, performance has more than doubled.

>My current Win 98 session has been running 342 hr. 42 min. without
>a single reboot, GPF, or BSOD.

My old Win machine, K6/193, 32 RAM, 1.2 HDD, 2 MB S3 ViRGE suffered
from two or three freezings or BSODs a day, not counting GPFs and app
freezings which didn't take the system down. The *exact same box* has
been running Linux for over a month now and has only been rebooted to
add hardware (physically, because changing the default network card or
installing/uninstalling "drivers" for existing hardware do not need a
reboot).

I *know* how to use a computer but Windows does not.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700