POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : understanding bounding boxes : Re: understanding bounding boxes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: understanding bounding boxes
From: Mike Williams
Date: 21 Nov 2001 14:32:18
Message: <D8EXAAAh$3+7Ew3H@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it JRG who wrote:
>When you rotate an object, is its bounding box rotated accordingly?
>I mean: suppose you have a box {-1,1}. Its bounding box is surely box
>{<-1,-1,-1>, <1,1,1>}.

If would be if it *had* a bounding box. POV doesn't normally perform
automatic bounding on a simple box object (presumably because checking a
ray for intersection with a box is as quick as checking for intersection
with the bounding box).

A quick test shows that the automatic bounding boxes are oriented along
the axes, manual bounding boxes are affected by rotate commands that
appear after the bounded_by command.

It might also be worth noting that the vista buffers (which are derived
from the automatic bounding boxes) are oriented parallel to the edges of
the picture, which may well not be the same as parallel to the axes.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure