POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Infinite coherent noise? : Re: Infinite coherent noise? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:04:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite coherent noise?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 27 Mar 2008 00:19:27
Message: <Byu7ufNV1y6HFw0i@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it stbenge who wrote:
>Mike Williams wrote:
>> Wasn't it stbenge who wrote:
>
>>> I think we are still a ways off from seeing a commercial quantum
>>>computer. Is there a way to achieve quantum effects apart from the
>>>corresponding hardware?
>>  We're not talking "quantum computers" here. That's something
>>completely  different.
>
>We're talking about chaos theory, yes? Nothing is truly random, rather
>everything is a result of cause and effect. But try to predict it :)

We're talking real quantum effects (well at least I was) which most
current theories consider to be truly random. Chaos theory tells us that
we can build a machine that is so sensitive to initial conditions that
quantum events occurring in the atoms on the surface of the lottery
balls would cause different lottery outcomes.

Quantum computers work by causing a particle to be in a superposition of
many quantum states, each state representing a possible value that might
be the answer to some question, and somehow causing the superposition to
collapse to the state which solves the question that's being asked.
That's sort of going in the opposite direction from what we want.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure