POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Interesting isosurface with MOD & DIV : Interesting isosurface with MOD & DIV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Interesting isosurface with MOD & DIV
From: leosti
Date: 6 Jan 2004 11:12:42
Message: <BC201EF4.5309%leosti@yahoo.com>
Hello-

This is my first posting (just (re) started using POV).  The enclosed image
is made from an isosurface for the towers and a height field for the
swimming thing.

The isosurface is a repeating, with modifications at each repetition,
function using the mod (to cause repeats) and div (to discretely change
certain parameters for each copy); following ideas presented in some recent
discussion on POV news. I am quite happy with the result, except for a few
things:
1)it renders quite slowly (this took about 30 hours on a 1.4GHz PIII, of
course radiosity and focal blur are used.)
2)the wake needs work
3) there is an artifact (boxed in red) of a sort I have not seen before in
the isosurface. I imagine upping the accuracy 0.002 and max_gradient 40
(current settings) will help.

Interestingly POV reports a max_gradient of over 3000 when it renders.  I
suspect this is due to the DIV statements discontinuous nature; but it makes
it hard to know what the max_gradient of the continuous surface should be.

Comments?
Questions?
Suggestions?
Look under the hood?

Regards,
Leo

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pilgrimage_compress.jpg' (189 KB)

Preview of image 'pilgrimage_compress.jpg'
pilgrimage_compress.jpg