POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Sim_POV: Mid Air Collisions : Re: Sim_POV: Mid Air Collisions Server Time
19 Jul 2024 11:36:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sim_POV: Mid Air Collisions
From: Fidel viegas
Date: 19 Dec 2002 12:52:23
Message: <BA27B66E.82AB%fidel.viegas@artrecognition.co.uk>
in article 3E017E32.1EE4FC75@gmx.de, Christoph Hormann at
chr### [at] gmxde wrote on 19/12/02 8:07 am:

> I know there are people who think this way (and i see it everyday when
> people start panicking when they find themself in front of an X Terminal
> with nothing but a xterm and being supposed to work... ;-)

That is true. Even when I was at university, that used to happen a lot.

> Command line is a bit like using POV-Ray - there are a lot of people who
> think that coding a 3D scene in a text editor is awfully old fashioned but
> you can see everyday in these newsgroups and in the IRTC that this can be
> an extremely efficient and productive technique.

I always loved command line and I always used povray on a command line
basis, except on the mac where I use the povray environment. Sometimes I
still write programs in C++ using command line, even thought I have
projectbuilder. Sometimes it can be efficient and productive just like you
said.

> I won't deny that a GUI application is easier to start with for an
> intuitive, autodidactic approach of a newbie but this does not mean
> command line apps are useless.  In case of Sim-POV you won't have any
> advantage in learning the new features from the GUI version (because it's
> no different from the plain 3.5 GUI).

I agree with you on this one as well.

All the best

Fidel.