POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Alien Invasion - Intro scene [link] : Re: Alien Invasion - Intro scene [link] Server Time
19 Jul 2024 17:13:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien Invasion - Intro scene [link]
From: Fidel viegas
Date: 22 Nov 2002 16:32:55
Message: <BA0451C5.7278%fidel.viegas@artrecognition.co.uk>
in article 3ddd5ab8@news.povray.org, Peter Hertel at
peter@hertel**NOSPAM**.no wrote on 21/11/02 9:31 pm:

> Wow :) Must be the first time someone asks _me_ about modelling technices,
> thanks Fidel! That felt good! ;)

I am glad to know that.

> They are all handcoded.
> Legs are moved with a small walking macro I did.
> Neck is cylinders and spheres along a spline. It's way faster than using
> sphere_sweeps and works pretty well here.
> Eye lid is made up of clipped sphere and torus, which then is rotated to
> make it blink.

After looking at the movie again, I thought you used a sphere_sweep for the
legs, but now I know it wasn't. The creatures look really cool. They are
simple but very cool.
The eyes blinking just gave an idea for an old character I was modelling. I
just didn't know how to create the blinking effect. but now thanks to your
explanation I know. Thanks a lot.
I had never tried the clipped_by statement, so I'll have a look at it.

> Here is the code, guess it explains it better..

Thanks for the code. It is going to be really helpful. Keep going with the
animation. I looks really cool. How far are you from finishing it? And how
long is the animation going to be?
It rocks dude!

All the best

Fidel.