POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : another abstract... : Re: another abstract... Server Time
15 Aug 2024 12:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: another abstract...
From: Dan Byers
Date: 15 Jun 2002 10:34:36
Message: <B930BA30.CE57%goofygrafx@aol.com>
in article 3d0ad31f$1@news.povray.org, Skip Talbot at sta### [at] uiucedu wrote
on 6/15/02 12:39 AM:

> I know I'm getting off topic here but... doesn't that AOL hometown banner on
> your gallery drive you insane?  I too host my (soon to be released) gallery
> on AOL but I don't go through hometown simply because of that banner.  Are
> you doing it for the added webspace or the added exposure?  If its for the
> webspace, I can tell you how to con AOL out of all the webspace you'll ever
> need.  If its for the exposure, do you really think it adds that much?

If you know a secret, I'm all ears.  I _HATE_ that stupid banner... the only
reason I use hometown is for the 12MB of space...

> Excellent renderings BTW.  I especially like "Birthing" and "Bumblee
> Morning."  Maybe you'd have more luck selling them if your renderings
> targeted a certain audience or buyer.
>
> Skip

Thanks for the compliments :)

I suppose I should qualify my last post - I've actually sold one piece (the
bumblebee one) to a friend, only after he got a glimpse of the way POV-Ray
images are put together (he was flabbergasted, BTW).

I have received compliments about my works, but my lack of selling stems
from a) a total lack of marketing :/ and b) a lack of focus on one
particular "voice", if you will.  I'm planning on moving the gallery pieces
to a separate website that will focus more on the "serious" work I do, while
the bumblebee and some others in that vein will stay on Goofy Graffix.  I
also plan on doing a few more pieces in the abstract/surreal style and do an
art show (solo or group) at a local gallery (Omaha, NE).

That does raise an interesting point, though, and I _know_ it's offtopic:
how many people that frequent this NG actually sell the art they create with
POV?  I know Gilles Tran makes his work available for sale as posters; I'm
curious as to how much business he's done with that.  I've done a few
graphic gigs using POV (t-shirts, logos) - what's everyone else's experience
been???

Follow up on povray.off-topic, please...

--
dan
http://hometown.aol.com/goofygrafx