POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Problem with #read : Re: Problem with #read Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with #read
From: Christian Walther
Date: 3 Jan 2002 09:37:01
Message: <B85A2B1A.2813%cwalther@gmx.ch>
> ...This bug is probably connected with IO things and they can be different on
> Mac/Win(/UNIX) platforms.
> yes, strange behaviour,
> #local ohh=ahh <----ERROR
> Parse Error: Cannot assign uninitialized identifier.
> was returned

> This aslo happens if you use #if(defined(ahh)) instead of #idef(ahh)

I can confirm that the same thing happens with the Mac version (3.5b9, MacOS
9.2.2, PPC G3 266, 192MB RAM).

It seems that "defined" and "initialized" is not the same thing, and you
just found a way to make an identifier that is defined but not initialized.
From the fact that there's a special parse error message for that, it seems
that the possible existence of uninitialized identifiers was foreseen by the
programmers, so it wouldn't be a bug.