POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : .NET distributed POV : Re: .NET distributed POV Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .NET distributed POV
From: Dan Byers
Date: 3 Nov 2001 15:16:07
Message: <B809AD89.360E%goofygrafx@aol.com>
in article 3be33d35@news.povray.org, Ben Martens at bma### [at] purdueedu
wrote on 11/2/01 6:41 PM:

> I'm tossing around ideas for a .NET programming contest.  One idea was to
> build a distributed POV system based on .NET.  I've seen quite a few systems
> that do this with other architectures.  In my random thoughts so far, I've
> come across two potential problems.  If anyone can offer any advice I would
> really appreciate it:
>
> 1)  I know it's possible to render parts of an image using command line
> switches.  However, if I send parts of a picture to different computers,
> this is going to mess up anti-aliasing, correct?  I suppose this could be
> avoided by post-processing.  Or is there a way to do anti-aliasing in this
> situation?
>
> 2)  Do I need to write my own routines to stitch the picture back together,
> or is there any easy way to accomplish this?
>
> 3)  I would like to support any platform that can run Povray.  What is the
> best way to tell POV to render a file?  Should I just pass it a command
> line?  If that's the case, are all the command lines the same across
> platforms or would I need separate commands for Linus, Windows, etc.?
>
> Thank you for any help,
> -Ben
> http://bwmartens.tripod.com

I'm almost done with a little app I wrote in AppleScript which would allow
me to remote-render pov files via email... it's pretty basic - I can only
really render with the default settings, but tests have worked so far...
maybe I'll post my finished script in one of the binary folders here, if
there's an interest...

--
dan
http://hometown.aol.com/goofygrafx