POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Object oriented POV scene language? : Re: Object oriented POV scene language? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object oriented POV scene language?
From: David
Date: 22 Jul 2000 21:13:32
Message: <B59F94A4.17F9%davidmccabe@mac.com>
"Oh, so then we should remove #while-loops, #macros and even #defines. They
only slow parsing, don't they?"

Well said, Warp.

However, I disagree with you statment
"it would be of little use to the average user who knows little or nothing
about programming (who are still fighting on understanding how #while-loops
and #macros work...)."

If OOP was done *right* in POV, it would be at the very core of the
language. Writing "sphere{...}" would create a an *object of the class
"sphere"* Everything would be object oriented. To the one learning the
language, object oriented structure would be as fundamental as placing
lights and cameras.

    Now, when a heard that POV 4.0 would be object oriented, my reaction was
"What, the current POV isn't OOP?!?". My aw of the POV Team grew as a
learned that they create such a raystacer WITHOUT oop! But for OOP to really
work, it must be *fully* oop.

I'm all for an object oriented POV-Ray language, as long as it is fully
object oriented.