POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : segmented helix? : Re: segmented helix? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:37:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: segmented helix?
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 27 Jan 2002 07:11:59
Message: <9qp75ug5tcch5vokpg4bqffccdfo805lei@4ax.com>
Hi Steve Shelby, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> However, I discovered that I could make a cylinder, click "local
> coordinates", and translate it away from the z-axis, ...
You can do the same thing without using local coordinates.

To use IK with this would be pretty tough. Well, it depends on what
you want to achieve. To make a sort of chain type thing, you don't
need to create a helix like this. You could start with a normal chain.
The way to do this would be to make a CSG object, adding in say a
cylinder and a sphere (so the joints won't cause gaps) and then make
as many segments as you need, making each segment a child of the
previous one (see moray.binaries for a screenshot of the browser)
after setting it up.

You can't use references for IK (it won't work). Actually, it might if
you turn off 'Inherit Transforms'....

(Unfortunately, I can't post a MDL file since I am using the
development version and I can't create a MDL your Moray can read)...

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray