POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : It hurts... (~113kau) : Re: It hurts... (~113kau) Server Time
20 Aug 2024 00:12:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It hurts... (~113kau)
From: Peter Popov
Date: 22 Sep 2000 12:29:25
Message: <9g1nss4ot7m2hbrfhp8m72d4nmiq0r70jv@4ax.com>
On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:53:08 -0500, "Tony[B]"
<ben### [at] panamac-comnet> wrote:

>...when a render doesn't finish after 1 day, 7 hours, 29 minutes and 1
>second, reporting that there was a "Rendering error. Out of memory. Cannot
>allocate 144 bytes for octree block." Yup, that hurts a lot. Especially when
>you've tried to leave the machine alone, so it renders faster during this
>time period. Can someone tell me why this happened? What is an octree block,
>and why did it eat up all my RAM?

You're using radiosity. The radiosity samples are stored in an octree
for faster access. Seems you ran out of memory and when (M)POV took
another radiosity sample (during the actual rendering) and tried to
store it, it could not 'allocate 144 for [the] octree block.' Not that
it helps ease the pain but at least now you know. If I know what I'm
rambling, that is.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet