POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 21:33:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Chambers
Date: 17 Dec 2008 03:06:03
Message: <9D1FEE607D4F4C8C84B2711362C73497@HomePC>

The first time I tried it was in 1996, I believe.  Each and every time,
I've had to work several hours to get my video card, sound card and
internet access working correctly.  And I didn't exactly have exotic
hardware.  (As far as the video card goes... no, I don't consider 80x25
text mode to be "working correctly," even if I can technically run Linux
with it.  If my card supports 3D, I want a 3D accelerated driver, which
means going to out 3rd party sites (after getting 'Net access to work!)
and hunting for a driver, then trying to convince it to install on my
system.  This has never been as straightforward as it should be for me...
maybe I just have bad luck or something).

In the earlier years, I had to work quite a bit to get my CD drive working
as well, but that's pretty much out of the box now.

> 	Then there's the headache of installing software. If your binary
> repository doesn't have it, you have to compile it. And sometimes your
> distro will put libraries in a place that the source code doesn't know
> about. That's already way too much for even sophisticated users who've
> never dealt with compiling with source code.

Oh, I've got no problems compiling stuff (actually, the fact that many
programs are distributed as source is attractive to me).

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

What's the difference between a drug dealer and a whore?  A whore can wash
her crack and sell it again.