POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Voronoi pattern - attached files (1/1) : Re: Voronoi pattern - attached files (1/1) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Voronoi pattern - attached files (1/1)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Dec 2003 13:12:03
Message: <8ei3c1-euu.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

>>That looks very nice and offers a lot of interesting possibilities (for
>>both textures and isosurfaces).  Could the speed improvements also be
>>used for the regular crackle pattern?
>

> Very unlikely. The crackle pattern stores a cache of 125 points in an
> array. Running through a BSP tree for those points would be faster than
> testing each of them for every evaluation of the pattern, but building
> that tree would be much slower than building the array.

I feared something like that.  But in many cases where the crackle
pattern is nice to use only a relatively small area of the pattern space
is actually evaluated.  In these cases i could imagine a system like this:

- initially build a BSP tree for all points within a certain area
(possibly customizable with a parameter).
- when a point outside this area is evaluated use the old technique.
- when a certain number of points outside needed to be evaluated rebuild
the BSP tree for a different/larger area.

I don't know if this idea is feasible or would be efficient of course.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______