POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Attn: Glen Berry : Re: Attn: Glen Berry Server Time
3 Oct 2024 02:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attn: Glen Berry
From: ingo
Date: 21 Feb 2000 17:01:17
Message: <8EE1E98C4seed7@204.213.191.228>
Gilles Tran wrote:

>Ken wrote:
>
>> In my opinion the .jpg image format sucks. PNG is a much better
>> option and POV-Ray already supports it.
>
>My 2 cents :

What a pitty you didn't post it as a PNG, now we are comparing 1x JPEG
compression and 2x JPEG compression.
In the right picture, without zooming I see a loss of detail in the hair,
its more fuzzy. Around the lampost there seems to be an extra contour and
the edge of it if softer. Under the lamp in the orange on the wall the
horizontal lines are more prominent There seems to be more structure in the
yellow on the wall. The colour fade on the womans back, from the spline to
the side is less smooth.

There is a JPEG compression utility at:
http://vision.arc.nasa.gov/dctune/dctune2.0.html
It has a somewhat different approach, you can specify the visual quality
instead of the compression rate. Or you can set the desired file size.

O T: A link for you Gilles, http://www.atelier-fresson.com/
It seems they have opend up their buissenis a bit more, there is even an
price list (and the prices are stunning).

Ingo