POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] : Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT]
From: Ole Laursen
Date: 1 Sep 2001 06:04:54
Message: <87pu9c2ran.fsf@bach.composers>
> > So let us reply: from the POV of a VI user, Emacs is of course so much
> > more user-friendly that it must seem like a WYSIWYG system. I mean,
> > with Emacs you can actually edit documents [1].
>
> Once it has finished loading, that is.

I don't get your point?

I run "emacs &" in the nearest terminal window, go feeding my aquarium
fish, visit the bathroom, eat an apple, play a little Bach tune on the
piano, take a shower, read a book etc., and when I get back, I can use
Emacs _instantly_. I don't wait as much as a nanosecond. Not even one.

> Mmmm, this can be improved. I'll do a plugin to interface to
> TiMidity, one day. After all, Vim is Vi Improved.

Improved in what way? The only thing I can think of that would improve
VI, would be a welcome screen like

  Welcome to VI!

  To quit this program, press any key. Then type "emacs" and hit
  return.

Not that it would benefit me, really. I'm an old-timer here, I've
known the value of ":q" for ages - thing is, it doesn't always seem to
work (not that that surprises me considering the name of the program),
that's when the music making starts.

> > (I mean, give your 5-year-old child a computer to 10.000 bucks,
> > and he will throw it out and play with the case instead.)
>
> Which lets me play with the rest (CPU, RAM, disk). Fine.

I can see the headlines:

  FATHER KILLER SET FREE

  Today true justice spoke when the child of an infamous VI user has
  been set free in spite of his confession of torturing and later
  murdering his father with a table spoon. As the judge concluded,
  "... and clearly this is an example of a child who never got any
  chance in life, who's father had travelled so deeply into insanity
  that he spent all his time with an activitity called the v-i,
  apparently a sort of primitive music composing software -"

  At this point, someone from the audience shouted, apparently to
  demystify the purpose of the v-i software, "try M-x viper-mode"
  which the judge did on the nearby running notebook. This was,
  however, followed by horror and screams such as "HERECY, HERECY!",
  "C-g C-g C-g", "C-x C-c NOW!", and eventually, "TURN OFF THE DAMN
  THING!".

  After the suspended sentence, two months of imprisonment, the crying
  mother left the court room together with her son. Her last words to
  the press, "...and he was just trying to find out how to edit the
  list of christmas presents to our son", did unfortunately not help
  us find out what exactly the mysterious so-called v-i software is
  supposed to do...

--
Ole Laursen
http://sunsite.dk/olau/