POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] : Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT]
From: Ole Laursen
Date: 30 Aug 2001 14:16:49
Message: <874rqp8ldx.fsf@bach.composers>

> :>   If you had said X + LaTex + Emacs, I would agree.
>
> : Here, we can feel the gap between the generations...
> : Having the work done right without or with fancy wysiwyg and display.
>
>   LaTeX + Emacs is not a WYSIWYG system.

Warp, I think it was joke, or perhaps just a well thought out
provocation. :-)

So let us reply: from the POV of a VI user, Emacs is of course so much
more user-friendly that it must seem like a WYSIWYG system. I mean,
with Emacs you can actually edit documents [1]. AFAIK the only thing
VI can do is playing music with the built-in speaker, see

  http://www.dina.dk/~abraham/religion/vi-music

However, introducing such derogative terms as "WYSIWYG" in this forum
is of course only to be frowned upon. Tsk, tsk. This just shows us the
mental level VI users in general have reached. (I mean, give your
5-year-old child a computer to 10.000 bucks, and he will throw it out
and play with the case instead.)

[1] This is, of course, only the least part of what The only True
Editor is capable of. As Per Abrahamsen once said (more or less), an
"editor" is the term for everything that isn't part of the OS.

PS: I hope people won't take this too serious. Flaming is only fun as
long as it is done in a friendly atmosphere.

--
Ole Laursen
http://sunsite.dk/olau/